Home of the Ultimate Xbox 360 Modding Tool, Horizon. XboxMB.com is a community of Xbox 360 gamers and modders who share Tutorials, News, Reviews, and other resources. Xbox Message Boards is free to sign up and use, so what are you waiting for? Register Now!
(Tutorial) How to put certain steam games onto a different hdd / sdd!
First off, I'd like to notify you that this is a no reinstall required tut! And unless you can find an alternative command line for other OS' this tut is only for windows vista + 7.
Here is what you're able to do:
- Put certain steam games onto a different harddrive which if it's fast could improve the performance of said game.
Here is what you have to do:
1. Go into your steam folder
For source games go to: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\STEAMUSERNAME
For other games go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common
2. Make a folder on the hard-drive / ssd you want to put the game onto.
3. Copy the folder with the name of the game that you want to move into the folder you created on the other hard-drive / ssd you want to put it on.
4. Rename the original game folder to anything else other than what it already is.
5. Open up cmd (type cmd in the search menu) and type |mklink /J "Original steam game folder location here" "drive name:folder where game files are now here"|
Say I want to move tribes to my new hard-drive. Here is what I'd do:
1. copy the tribes game folder into a folder I made on my other hard-drive called steam.
2. Next I rename the tribes folder to tribesbackup (or you could delete it)
3. Now I open up cmd and write:
mklink /J "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\tribes" "K:\Steam\tribes"